Pepparkahar (Norwegian Gingerbread Cookies) Published on: December 3, 2020
Pepparkahar (Norwegian Gingerbread Cookies)
These cookies are so good that we serve them at Thanksgiving and Christmas! At Thanksgiving, we make turkey-shaped cookies. At Christmas, we make gingerbread people. Decorating them is always fun!
- mixing bowls
- Rolling Pin
- baking sheet
- Cookie cutters
- Wax paper or plastic wrap for handling dough
- Tin for storage
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water or milk
- 3¼ cups unsifted flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp cardamom, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cream together butter, sugar, and molasses.
- Beat in the egg and water/milk.
- Stir in remaining ingredients until combined.
- Roll out on floured surface to ⅛-inch thickness and cut with floured cookie cutters.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7 to 10 minutes or until cookies are set.