Pasta e Fagioli Published on: June 1, 2020
Pasta e Fagioli
- small pot or large pan
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 lb bacon (about 4 oz)
- 1 16 oz can cannellini beans (white beans)
- some tomato sauce
- 3/4 lb (3/4 box) your choice of Pasta (Ditalini, Elbow, Shells....)
- salt and pepper
- Set a pot of water to boil for the pasta.
- In a small pot or large pan, stir fry onion in olive oil.
- Add bacon and cook until bacon is crisp.
- Meanwhile, puree about 1/4 (or less) of the cannellini beans, leaving the rest whole.
- Add the pureed beans to the onion and bacon mixture.
- Add in tomato sauce and bring to a boil (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add in the whole beans.
- Once your pot of water comes to a full boil, add a small palm of salt and toss in your pasta.
- Stir so that pasta doesn't stick together.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions, or until al dente.
- Drain most of the pasta water, reserving some in case you need to add more liquid to the soup.
- Pour the bean mixture over the pasta.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle your favorite parmiggiano cheese on top.
- Note: If you want a "soupier soup", then just use less pasta, or none at all.
- If you want to make 1 pound of pasta, then use a 20-oz can of beans.
- Buon Appetito!