English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes
Do you need help learning English? This virtual program is intended for adult learners living in the Chathams and elsewhere in New Jersey to improve their English language skills, and to help them work and fully participate in the life of their communities. The program is free and taught by experienced volunteer teachers via Zoom.
Schedule of Spring 2023 Session
Beginner: Wednesdays, April 5 – May 24, 10-11 am. Teacher: Payal S
Advanced Beginner: Wednesdays, April 5 – May 24, 1-2 pm. Teacher: Amy G
Intermediate: Tuesdays, April 4 – May 23, 6:30-7:30 pm. Teacher: Barbara W
Intermediate+: Tuesdays, April 4 – June 6 (no class May 2 & May 9), 9:45-10:45 am. Teacher: Lynn P
*Please note that we no longer offer an Advanced level of ESL, but encourage advanced speakers to participate in adult programs offered at the library.
NEW: Tea & Coffee at the Library! In addition to online classes, students who are at Advanced Beginner level or higher can enroll in our new in-person conversation group, moderated by Carrie M. The group will meet on Thursdays for 6 weeks, April 6 – May 11, 1:00-2:00 pm in the Quiet Study Room.
Please read the descriptions of the 4 levels before you register.
- I can understand simple conversation
- I can introduce myself and others
- I can interact with native speakers in a simple way
- I can describe myself and others in simple sentences
- Note: this class is not intended for those with zero knowledge of English
- I can understand the main points of everyday conversations
- I understand readings with some help (dictionary)
- I can produce simple text about familiar subjects
- I can describe and talk about experiences and events
- I can explain everyday tasks
- I understand the main idea of a text on a variety of topics
- I can interact with native speakers with a degree of fluency
- I can make myself understood in writing on many subjects
- I understand a wide range of longer texts
- I can express an opinion or explain an event clearly in many settings
- I can write clearly if not perfectly about many subjects
Now that you have determined your skill level, click below to register for classes. You may register for one class only.
REGISTER FOR CLASSES HERE
Students who are Advanced Beginner and above can sign up for in-person conversation group at the library:
REGISTER FOR CONVERSATION GROUP HERE
To be notified about future ESL sessions, subscribe to our ESL Notifications emails:
SUBSCRIBE TO ESL MAILING LIST
Volunteering for ESL
If you would like to volunteer as a teacher, please contact Galina Natenzon at 973-635-0603 or email email@example.com.
Additional Resources for ESL Learners
Mango Languages Library Edition (website and mobile app)
English learners can develop their speaking skills through English courses created to accommodate over 20 source languages.
To access this database for free, you must have a valid Chatham library card. New: as of October 2022, Mango is also available to members of all libraries-members of the Main Library Alliance (MAIN).