English as a Second Language (ESL) Classes
Do you need help learning English? This virtual program is intended for adult learners living in the Chathams and elsewhere in New Jersey to improve their English language skills, and to help them work and fully participate in the life of their communities. The program is free and taught by experienced volunteer teachers via Zoom.
The ESL program at the library is funded by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the New Jersey State Library.
The fall session has ended. The winter session will start in mid-January 2023 – stay tuned for the schedule to be announced soon. Subscribe to ESL mailing list below to receive notifications of upcoming classes.
Schedule of Fall 2022 Session
Beginner: Wednesdays, September 21 – November 9, 10-11 am. Teacher: Payal S
Advanced Beginner: Wednesdays, September 21 – November 16, 1-2 pm (no class 9/28). Teacher: Amy G
Intermediate: Mondays, September 19 – November 7, 7-8 pm. Teacher: Ken S
Intermediate+: Tuesdays, September 20 – November 8, 9:30-10:30 am. Teacher: Lynn P
*Please note that we no longer offer an Advanced level of ESL, but encourage advanced speakers to participate in adult programs offered at the library.
Please read the descriptions of the 4 levels before you register.
- I can understand simple conversation
- I can introduce myself and others
- I can interact with native speakers in a simple way
- I can describe myself and others in simple sentences
- I can understand the main points of everyday conversations
- I understand readings with some help (dictionary)
- I can produce simple text about familiar subjects
- I can describe and talk about experiences and events
- I can explain everyday tasks
- I understand the main idea of a text on a variety of topics
- I can interact with native speakers with a degree of fluency
- I can make myself understood in writing on many subjects
- I understand a wide range of longer texts
- I can express an opinion or explain an event clearly in many settings
- I can write clearly if not perfectly about many subjects
Now that you have determined your skill level, click below to register for classes. You may register for one class only.
THE FALL SESSION IS NOW IN PROGRESS AND CLASSES ARE FULL
To be notified about future ESL sessions, subscribe to our ESL Notifications emails:
Volunteering for ESL
If you would like to volunteer as a teacher, please contact Galina Natenzon at 973-635-0603 or email email@example.com.
Additional Resources for ESL Learners
Mango Languages Library Edition (website and mobile app)
English learners can develop their speaking skills through English courses created to accommodate over 20 source languages.
** To access this database for free, you must have a Chatham library card. **